That’s right. I’m calling it. Joel McHale
should will take over for Jon Stewart.
If you’re thinking who the heck is Joel McHale I won’t exactly blame you. He’s probably not that super well known. Though I’ve been a fan for a long, long time. He’s hosted The Soup on E since 2004. It’s wonderfully bad in the best way. It’s irreverant, timely, and no one is safe from ridicule. Especially E the channel he works for. It’s very much the way Jon makes fun of the news media while being the news media (albeit wrapped in a comedy cloth).
Everything about Joel taking over makes sense to me.
- He’s funny as heck
- He, too, has a standup background
- He’s had a career in TV and Film, but never a break out position and deserves it
- He’s paid his dues for a long time and honed his craft while doing so
- He’s comfortable on camera
- He’s bright and quick-witted
- He’s handsome without being model fake
- He brings it every single show
- He’s hungry
- He’s the right age to slide into Jon’s chair
- He’s got a good-hearted, infectious personality people will like
Really all those descriptions could have described Jon and what made him a great host.
If I had a say I’d pick Joel. I have a really strong feeling Jon and Comedy Central will as well.